Sunday, October 19, 2008

Up North to see the leaves!!

It is a tradition every fall in Wisconsin for people to go up north to see the leaves. The leaves are supposed to be brilliant colors of yellow, orange, red, and green. We decided it was time for us to go see them and we were not disapointed! Justin took Friday off and we headed up early that morning. Our destination was Penisula State Park in Door County. Door County is on the Door Penisula which is northeast of Green Bay. It was about a 4 and 1/2 hour drive, so we stopped a couple times along the way. Our first stop was Beach Point State Park. It is right on Lake Michigan. Carter ran and played in the sand and was tired enough to nap after that. After a couple more stops we got to our campground. It was GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot rave enough about the beauty of this park, especially this time of year. The town of Fish Creek is near by and was very busy with all the "city folk" around. I can't believe they would all rather hang around in an overpriced little town than to get out and see all that the park has to offer. Our first night was VERY cold, but it went pretty well. On Saturday we went out to breakfast, back to camp, then on a short hike. After we got back from our hike we went on a drive to the end of the peninsula. After we got back, we went on a 2 mile difficult hike that showcased the rock bluffs of the park. We were able to do this because we borrowed a backpack carrier from our friends. Carter rode calmly on Justin's back as long as there were cheddar bunnies in his reach! The second night was not as cold and went just as well. We left in the morning and were back home by around 2pm. I think this is the most beautiful place I have seen here in Wisconsin. I thought Devils Lake was pretty, but now that is a close second to Peninsula State Park. It was wonderful to see all the leaves, get out and do some hiking, and get to know more about Wisconsin. I hope you enjoy ALL the pics and videos! Enjoy!


Before vacation, I am helping Daddy in the garage.


Mommy and Carter on their way to the beach.


He refuses to hold my hand...very independant!


Looking at the sand.


A wonderful shot by Justin.


Carter contemplating a swim...


The lighthouse.


Just like home...but without the salty smell/taste!


I hope you guys like sand in the car...


Playing at the beach.


You can't get me!


I love the water...


And so does my son!


Another wonderful shot...


Some leaves before we got to the park.


This is in the middle of a farm field.


Our campground!


And our campspot.


We could not get enough of the leaves!

Daddy and Carter playing in the leaves.


He now knows the meaning of HOT!
Our tent...I LOVE it!

Such a peaceful place. There really were not a lot of people in the park.


Our campspot.
The leaves in the early morning.

Another view...

A couple islands in the bay. Michigan is on the other side of the bay.

A LLLLOOONNNGGG way down!


Quite possibly the cutest pic ever of them! I think we may have to borrow the carrier again from Dan and Clara.
Daddy and Carter at the lighthouse.

A nice grandma took the picture for us!

Our short hike in the morning.


Another nice couple took our picture.
A view from our afternoon hike.

Daddy and Carter on the afternoon hike.


Carter was getting cold, so we had to hike fast!
Horseshoe island in the bay.

The leaves lost a lot of color overnight because of strong winds last night. :(

But it was still pretty!


Look how high up we were in the lookout!!! (Grandma Mary and Grandpa Dale never could have went up this thing, it was pretty high.)
View of bay from the lookout.

Another view of Horseshoe island.

This is what we climbed!


How I want to remember our trip...





Playing the sand...part 1.

Playing in the sand...part 2.

No comments: