Friday, June 12, 2009

Camping!

We had a lot of fun camping with Jake and Chelsea last weekend at Devils Lake State Park. It was a little cold and a little rainy, but Carter fully enjoyed playing outside all weekend. We got up there Friday evening and enjoyed a nice toasty fire. On Saturday morning we went on a little hike on a trail that Chelsea had worked on the summer before. It was a GORGEOUS walk and we were under cover from the rain the whole time. Jake and Chelsea did some geocaching, which is like a GPS led scavenger hunt done all across the country, while Carter took his nap. I think it is something we would really like to get into: http://www.geocaching.com/ if you want more info. Then we went to a nature center and had a nice somewhat damp evening. On Sunday morning Carter was just about done with the whole outside and cold thing. We headed home early so he could warm up and dry off. We had a lot of fun and can't wait to go camping again with them next month!!


Justin and Carter sleeping/staying warm Sunday morning. This is one of the best pics I have of them!


I was playing with the night photo section of my camera!


Jake and Chelsea's canoe.


Jake and Chelsea's very cool tent. It has just enough room for both of them.


Our happy little camp!


Home away from home.
The following pics are all from our little hike:

A stream bed...there has been some signifigant water runoff this year, look at the destruction.


This reminds me of the Hovey family camp in upstate New York.


Getting closer to the falls. I didn't go all the way to the falls for fear of falling in the water and making an ass out of myself!


Everyone heading up the trail.


The stream bed we walked up.


Justin and Carter leading the way.


This was very cool...and VERY slippery!


The boys...


Another cool pic...





Some rock structures on the way back.


There was some very cool geology in this area.


Part of the trail.


Some water from the stream.


I can't get enough of the water pics.


This picture is so green...it really made me miss western Washington.


Some pretty strong water must have run through here.


On our way back to the car.


Our trail.


Another very green picture.


Walking along the stream.


One last picture of the stream.

On our way home!


The following are pictures from my garden and around the house.


My square foot garden. I put it in a little late, but I think it is okay because it has been so cold here and will be warm up through October.


Carter's new big wheel that Rex gave him.

My clematis that I actually was able to train this year to climb sideways!


My hostas.


My garden. I still have 12 more squares in my garden that I can plant with late harvest produce.


My wisteria that covers the back patio.


Carter's tree in the backyard...he loves to stand underneath it!


Carter practicing his flag wave for the 4th of July.


We ripped out the ugly green bush in front of the house and planted some thing that will eventually cover the ugly drain pipe.

One of my new plants out front.



Another new one I planted.


The front of the house...Carter really loves the flag.


Our front hedge that provides a very nice fence to keep Carter in the yard.


One of the wild strawberry plants I brought back from the Hovey family camp in New York...I am REALLY hoping they make it.


Kind of there...

Not too bad, but hopefully they will get used to Wisconsin!

2 comments:

Russ and Mary said...

Awesome pictures, Barbara, from your camping trip. You should consider enlarging a few of them and mat & frame for your house. Beautiful pictures!

Love the picture of Carter and Justin, pretty precious.

Counting the days until you arrive, hope you are warm at Seaquest State Park!

Justin and Barbara said...

hahahaha...you are very funny!!