Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Changes

We have made a lot of changes since becoming parents. I would say one of the most important changes is that we are eating SO MUCH healthier. We really had to do this not only for money reasons, but because of my thyroid and to teach Carter about leading a healthy and balanced life. The first step for us was to start making all our meals from scratch. I found when I bought box or frozen meals, they would not last for leftovers and were definitely not the healthiest. I plan my meals for two week increments. It does take me about half an hour to sit down and actually plan meals, but it saved us so much money! I now spend an average of $110 for two weeks of groceries. Another easy way to eliminate unhealthy and expensive food was to get rid of snack food. I don't buy crackers, chips, cookies, etc...there are other things to snack on. Our newest endeavor is to eliminate high fructose corn syrup from our food. This may seem easy...but it isn't!! High fructose corn syrup is in EVERYTHING! I found it in jelly, salsa, juice, pasta sauce, soda, syrup, yogurt, and even bread...the list can go on and on. It feels great to be eating better and spending less money. Also, the food tastes much better knowing that is is good for us and I made it myself. On tonight's menu...homemade crock pot chili and homemade cornbread...Yum! Enjoy the pics!


Chef Carter helping me in the kitchen.


Closeup of the chef.


What can I do Mommy?


Obviously Carter was starving again...so he had to break into the cereal!


What Mommy...I was HUNGRY!!!


Still working to peel wallpaper in the dining room.


Goodbye ugly wallpaper!





2 comments:

Meredith, Bucky and Ty said...

and pickles, ketchup, cereal, mustard...ugh, we could go on all day! You guys rock for making a transition. Carter is such a healthy guy, and adorable in his apron!!

Jake and Chelsea said...

Hey, we are looking forward to seeing you guys next week. What do you want us to bring? You can email me at chelsealeachman@gmail.com

Chelsea